Tuesday, July 20, 2010

MRI Done! Pre-OP Appointments today

Hi everyone!

First, let me say a big "thank you" to everyone who is reading and commenting on my blog.  Knowing I have your support brings me lots of comfort and I truly appreciate each and every one of you!

Yesterday's flights back to Kansas City were totally uneventful.  I did have an opportunity to get bumped in Chicago ($800 worth of flight credits).  It was tempting but I knew I had to get back for the MRI, so I passed.  We landed just after 5 p.m., took Mom home and then drove to Overland Park near the hospital and had dinner. 

 We got to Menorah about 7:30 and went to the ER admissions desk for checkin.  Then we headed back to Radiology to wait.  And wait.  They were running an hour behind schedule.  I guess I'd better get used to "hurry up and wait mode".   Because I am diabetic, they decided that a blood draw was necessary to check my creatinine levels.  Apparently, the contrast dye can wreak havoc on weakened kidneys.  So off to the lab where the tech looked at my tiny shallow veins and decided to try a baby butterfly needle.  He inserted it and nothing...notta...not one drop.  He tried poking around until I made him stop.  So he gave up on that arm and tried my right arm, found something acceptable and was successful. 

Then it was back to Radiology to wait.  About 9 or so, they fetched me, I changed into hospital garb big enough for 3 of me then the tech inserted an IV for the contrast dye.  She hit it the first time, so that was no problem.  They gave me a headset and I tried to rock out to Kenny Chesney accompanied by the jackhammer sounds of the MRI in action.  Next time I'll ask for earplugs and the headset.  I didn't mind the position - on my tummy with cups to suspend each breast.  They tried to make me as comfy as possible.  My anatomy (short all over, really short neck) provided opportunity for some propping with towels, pillows under my knees, etc.  It wasn't uncomfortable and I'm not claustrophobic, so I did just fine.  But I think the music just added to the "din" although it helped me track how long I was there.  Once they started the dye and said 8-10 more minutes, I knew it was 2 or 3 songs and I'd be finished.  So it was helpful in a way.

When it was all over, I got dressed and we got home about 10:30.  It was a long day with the extra hour from the eastern time zone.

Two more stressful days this week. Today shouldn't be too bad.  I plan to eat watermelon to my heart's content as I need to be as hydrated as possible by midnight tonight.  I know...watermelon??? It's my favorite summer food and it will serve two purposes - hydration and electrolytes.  So yup, watermelon!

Well, time to get the show on the road.  Might need to go shopping for a sports bra after our hospital stuff.  Not exactly exciting, but I'm thinking I want more than one "boob binder"!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!



  1. What a busy day you had! I'm glad all the connections went well. I'm also glad that the MRI is over. Enjoy your watermelon today.

  2. Watermelon, my favorite fruit. Mmmmmmm!!!

    Sounds like so far the plan is for the most part on time. In the medical world that's a miracle.