Friday, July 2, 2010

More waiting! Unless we head in a different direction...

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from the oncologist office.  The first available appointment is not until July 14th.  If we go with that, it would be 3 - 4 weeks before anything happens to attack the cancer.  I'm not sure I'm OK with that, and I am guessing my breast surgeon would agree with me.  This may impact the treatment plan I select. 

Another consideration is called Oncotype DX.  This is genetic testing of the tissue to determine the likelihood of cancer returning in the next 10 years.  A number between 0 and 100 is assigned to your tissue, with lower being much better.  If mine comes back between 0 and 20, I may opt out of chemotherapy.  In that scenario, the side effects and impact to life outweigh the probable benefits. 

With the good news yesterday that the nodes look clear, I am considering the following:

lumpectomy with sentinel node (SN) biopsy ASAP then radiation

If SN biopsy shows no involvement, then bypass chemo.

I will  likely go on some type of hormone-suppression therapy for 5 years.

I was up in the middle of the night after attempting to get a night's sleep without the use of chemicals.  Fell asleep ok about 10:30, but woke up around 2 am trying to solve this problem.  I did manage to get back to sleep around 5, and we all slept in until 7:30.

I wish it was just a math problem, with which the Oncotype info helps.  I really want someone to put all the possibilities into a probability software program, run the simulations and spit out the odds...LOL!  I want intellectual confirmation of my "probably" emotional leanings. 


  1. You willing to travel?

    There has to be a hospital somewhere withing a day's drive (St. Louis, Tulsa......) that can get going faster.

  2. There are so many things to think about now. This is such a life changing decision. No wonder you can't sleep properly. Have you thought about getting a 2nd doctor's opinion about the best route to go? I know this will have to fall on you, but sometimes another opinion from a doctor that does these operations and knows different patients works.

  3. Although it would be nice to get a second opinion, that will take more time away for actual treatment. Is there another oncologist that your breast surgeon might recommend? I know you want the best so perhaps your breast surgeon can give you some guidance or perhaps make a call on your behalf to see if she can work some magic to get you in earlier.

    I hope you can try to relax a bit this weekend. Once you have a plan worked out, there will be fewer decisions to make.


  4. Michelle,

    I can't imagine trying to figure this all out. But all of a sudden the pieces will fall together.

    It's hard not to rush when you feel you need the time to figure this all out.