Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Carefree was fun and now it's back to business

We had a beautiful six days in Carefree, AZ, with brilliant sunshine and temps in the 70s.  Rick's golf buddies flew in on Friday morning and the three of them played golf every day through Monday.  They chose courses nowhere near the resort, so they had long days and I had lots of time to enjoy the pool.  On Monday I had a hot stone massage, which was heavenly and I won't be waiting years for the next one!

We enjoyed some great dinners and conversation after golf.  I must admit I was lucky that the restaurants I picked were pretty good and I think the guys were happy to let me make the dining decisions.

The Carefree resort was nice and a good value, the suite was big and nicely furnished.  I wouldn't hesitate to go back.  But all good things must come to an end and we flew home on a Jet Blue red eye that arrived at 5:30 or so in Boston. I actually slept on the flight - the beauty of a good sleeping aid - and then took a couple naps during the day. 

Today was chemo day so we showed up at 8:30 but the medical team was running behind so despite my efforts to speed up the process by taking my own pre-meds, we still didn't get out of there until 11:15.  The chemo is a 30 minute infusion and it amazes me how much time we spend in "wait" mode before it can be started. 

After finishing, we picked up my sister and went to lunch at Olive Garden.  I haven't eaten there in years but I must admit the soups are good.  I had pasta fajioli and caesar salad, Mona and Rick had zuppa toscana and the house salad...and the breadsticks.  I ordered the little zeppolis for dessert.

My labs were mostly in the good red blood count and hemoglobin were a litle low but platelets were good and my white blood count is good.  It appears the 50% reduction in the chemo is the right balance to keep my counts in the safe range.


  1. Wow, Michelle, your labs sound so good! I'm glad you've gotten the right balance! The trip was just what the doctor ordered for you both. I bet Rick was in his hay day with the guys! Bummer about having to "wait" to get chemo. Keep on fighting hard...and having lots of fun in between!

  2. I am so glad to hear you are back doing okay with the right mixture of chemo. I agree about the hurry up and wait game - I have been doing the same thing.

    I am glad you had a relaxing time on your vacation. You so deserve it. Looking forward to more good lab reports. Deb

  3. Lunch was great and u look better than u have in recent weeks!

  4. Michelle, sounds like the wait is worth it. Good labs and good chemo combo. Hoping for continued good reports.


  5. I hate medical appointments that start late. I understand they are trying to accommodate everyone that needs them, but could a little communication kill them?

  6. Glad you enjoyed the Arizona sun and your labs are doing well.

    I hope the chemo plan continues to work for you.

  7. I'm happy this chemo combo is working for you. I bet you're already planning your next getaway!


  8. Great news that the chemo is working without sapping too much of your strength. I'm glad your trip was all you expected. Sometimes resorts can fall short of their promises. Your Olive garden lunch sounds really good.