I had an appointment with my Dana Farber oncologist late Wednesday afternoon and it appears the trial drug is not a magic bullet for me. While all my other lab results are really good except that I am a little bit anemic, my tumor markers have risen from 101 to 126. It's a disturbing trend, and there has not been any downward turn at all with this drug. I've been on it for about 9 weeks. I go back again on November 16th; and unless my tumor markers have reversed direction, it will be time to discuss the next treatment plan. I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.
The next likely treatment plan will include carboplatin. The platinum drugs have been proven to be effective against ovarian cancer, and triple negative breast cancer is similar genetically. It won't be an easy regime - hair loss, nausea, low blood counts - pretty much the same as last summer's Adriamycin, Cytoxan and Taxol treatment. But I'd like to try and give it a knockout blow while I have the physical and emotional strength to do it.
It's possible Dr. Chen may have other ideas. There are many clinical trials and she may think that one of them is a good fit. So we'll have to talk about the pro's and con's of my options. In the meantime, I'm in a bit of a scary holding pattern.