Friday, May 18, 2012

Pretty good news, all things considered...

We just got home from Dana Farber and I think we are feeling encouraged by her impression of thngs.  My tumor load is very small, thanks to my insistence on frequent tumor marker testing and follow-up PET/CT scans.  Dr. Chen tried to feel the nodes that lit up the PET, and she couldn't - they are still very tiny. 

We talked at great length about clinical trials and there really isn't a good one for me at the moment.  We discussed using Carboplatin or Xeloda, and decided that Xeloda was the way to start.  It's an oral chemotherapy with supposedly minimal side effects.  I'll start taking it when we return from Paris; and after two months, I will be scanned again to see if it is working.  If so, I'll continue on it until... who knows.  If the mets are still present or if there is any progression, we will move on to Carboplatin. 

I think the best way to describe this is that it will be treated like any other chronic disease.   I have diabetes - I take daily metformin; I have metastatic breast cancer, I'll take daily chemo.  

Let's hope that like a fine broadway musical, Xeloda gets a nice, long run!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful time in Paris. I'm praying for you, and ask that you pray for me also. My "Bad News" will be coming up this Tuesday, May 22. I don't want to be a fatalist, but if I prepare for the worst, maybe the worst won't happen?
    I survived DCIS three years ago with only two lumpectomies and rads only.
    Now cancer has been found in an ovary, I pray it's "only" the ovary.
    Anyway, you seem so strong and optimistic.
    Praying for you and your family,
    Alma
    http://almaknittingcrochet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- your perseverance is remarkable and one of your biggest strengths!

    Focus on the important things and keep faith in God. I keep praying for your well being and good health. Enjoy Paris- what a wonderful trip to look forward to!

    Lori E.

    ReplyDelete