Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It's all gone!!!

Yes, it is!  I had a PET/CT scan yesterday and I got the best news of my life this morning - the cancer is ALL GONE!  After 16 months of biopsies, worries, waiting, treatments, more biopsies, more worrying and more waiting, my family, friends and I can all enjoy a collective sigh of relief!  Those nasty internal mammary nodes didn't light up; actually nothing from my eyebrows to my knees showed any signs of cancer.

I cannot begin to express how I am feeling right now.  It is now exactly two weeks after my last chemo and I am going to forever celebrate 9/28/2011 as my "cancerversary."  Undergoing chemo was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and it seems appropriate to celebrate its end as I now start to count off the days of my life as a true "survivor." 

I'll be consulting with Dr. Harris this Friday.  He is the head of Radiation Oncology at Dana Farber and one of the best in the country.  That said, I am totally impressed with the knowledge and compassion of Dr. Matthew Katz, who is part of the Elliott Hopsital Oncology Department and with whom I had my first consult.  He ordered the PET and he called me less than 24 hours after the test with the results.  His credentials are pretty impressive, too.

http://www.roa-ne.com/staff/dr-matthew-katz-md.php

I'm borrowing a saying from Eleanor Roosevelt. "A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."

1 comment: