In early February, I noticed an area just above the site of my biopsy was getting "inflamed." Over the past few weeks, it continued to get angry looking and increased in size. I did a little research and determined that it was likely a seroma (think about the fluid in a blister - that's what was developing). Most seromas resolve themselves after a while and rarely have to be aspirated, so I didn't rush off to the breast surgeon. Plus, I already had an appointment for today so I felt that I could "wait and see" what happened. I also knew I had an ultrasound scheduled for Monday, so this thing was going to get plenty of attention. The technologist confirmed on Monday that it was a seroma and the radiologist recommended it be drained. They knew I had an appointment with the breast surgeon so I was dismissed with the recommendation but no immediate action.
Now for my little adventure...my breast surgeon took a look at it this morning and determined that it was infected and I am now on Levaquin (pricey stuff!) for the next ten days. They sent me immediately back to Radiology and the radiologist withdrew two large syringes of fluid and tissue. One will be sent for culture to be sure we've got the right antibiotic at work, and the other will be sent to Cytology to look for abnormal cells. She really wanted to do a full biopsy but we agreed it was too risky because I take a daily aspirin and meloxicam. I really didn't want a repeat of the bleeding that I had from the first biopsy. She thought she could get enough tissue with the needle so I was glad that we settled on going just that far.
After the procedure, they put pressure on the site for several minutes, then took me to another room, applied antibiotic cream and a steri-strip, then wrapped my entire breast area with a tight ace bandage. And they inserted an ice pack. I have to wear the ace bandage until tomorrow. My breast surgeon advises wearing a tight sports bra for a while, to try and help close the pocket that seems to want to fill with fluid. She did say it will probably fill up again...oh yay.
I left the hospital feeling pretty good; but I didn't get very far before I started to feel the stinging as if she was still poking around with a needle. By the way, it was a big needle...the size used for blood donation. I headed to my mom's and stopped at the store for a fresh supply of extra-strength acetaminophen. I took a couple when I got to mom's and made the immediate decision that I wasn't going anywhere else except home. I stayed and had lunch with her, marched her in to get a haircut at the onsite salon, then left for the pharmacy. I picked up my prescription and now I am home, in my recliner, with a fresh ice pack.
It will all be fine, but I could certainly do without the complication. It's not the seroma from the Mammosite that's causing the trouble; it's the initial biopsy that keeps on giving.
I have to go back to the breast surgeon on March 31st and we'll see how things are going. Any other decisions are on hold until this is resolved.